FFV: Draw no joy for Sunbury United

comments Comments Off on FFV: Draw no joy for Sunbury United
By , 09/07/2018 17:40

A HARD-FOUGHT 1-1 draw away at Banyule City was scant reward for effort as Sunbury United lost ground on the promotion contenders in FFV state league 3 north-west on Saturday.
Nanjing Night Net

Sunbury (15 points) climbed from fourth to third with the draw at Yallambie Park Reserve but now trails leaders Sporting Whittlesea (21) and Cairnlea (18) after both won their respective matches.

Sunbury is best-of-the-rest above a scrum of teams down to 10th on the table separated by just four points.

The consequences of defeat on such a tight table was reflected by the aggression of both sides.

For all the chances created, the goals came just six minutes apart mid-way through the first half.

Banyule opened the scoring when Olaolu Lal Paris poked home from close range in the 19th minute after Sunbury had twice failed to clear their lines from a corner. It was third time lucky for Banyule as the Sunbury defence failed to scramble clear a third ball into the box.

Banyule nearly doubled its advantage just two minutes later as the Sunbury defence was caught out of position by a ball in from the right, headed over by Banyule’s Tom Lloyd.

But on 26 minutes, Sunbury was level as Nathan Bennis broke down the left wing and ran from almost halfway to the by-line, crossing for Matthew Hume to thunder in a header at the back post.

The goal gave Sunbury the impetus, with play-maker Michael Crewswick the main creative force. On 36 minutes he sprung the Banyule backline and was headed for goal when he was clattered from behind by Banyule’s Michael Miskas.

Sunbury protested furiously for the foul to be met with a red card and were further enraged as the referee produced a yellow.

Sunbury’s best chances in the second half came from counter-attacks, with Hume having a shot deflected wide in the 76th minute.

The defining moment came in the 80th minute when Sunbury’s defence was caught flat-footed, allowing Billy Tsakmakidis to run into scoring range and take a free shot at goal.

But the Banyule player’s strike smashed into the underside of the crossbar, bouncing out of the goal mouth and into the arms of Sunbury ’keeper Mark Lewis.

BUDGET: Emergency headquarters to be based in Illawarra

comments Comments Off on BUDGET: Emergency headquarters to be based in Illawarra
By , 09/07/2018 17:40

The state government will provide $13 million over four years for the fit-out of a new State Emergency Services headquarters, which will be located in the Illawarra.
Nanjing Night Net

A government spokesman said tenders had already been called for the project, which would consolidate the region’s strong SES presence. An exact location for the headquarters had not been decided upon.

Emergency services have been further strengthened in the region with $2.29 million yesterday announced for the new Albion Park fire station, which is set to be completed this financial year.

Just over $200,000 of the total $2.5 million cost was earmarked for the station in the 2012-13 budget.

Picton is also set to receive a new fire station, with $1.2 million of the total $2.35 million allocated for the project in the 2013-2014 budget. It was part of a total $18 million commitment to new or continuing works to build and refurbish fire stations across NSW.

Police and Emergency Services Minister Michael Gallacher said this year’s budget would strengthen the capabilities of emergency services right across NSW.

‘‘Today’s budget has allocated $53.5 million over five years, including $4.9 million in 2013-14, for the replacement of vital operational communications equipment for the NSW SES,’’ Mr Gallacher said.

‘‘The budget also provides $7.6 million for the replacement of 7000 structural firefighting helmets for Fire and Rescue NSW.

‘‘A further $12 million has also been allocated for the ongoing replacement of essential firefighting appliances for FRNSW.’’In other emergency services measures announced in the state budget, the Rural Fire Service will receive $35 million to continue their work reducing fire hazards while funding has been provided to buy a medium utility helicopter to assist the RFS to fight fires in remote and hard-to-access locations.

The state government will also release $22 million from the Strategic Disaster Readiness Package, as part of the $96 million committed in 2012-13, to be prepared for when disasters strike.

‘‘The Strategic Disaster Readiness Package ensures the SES has the vital resources and capabilities to help prevent and respond to flood and storm events,’’ Mr Gallacher said.

The Rural Fire Service will receive $35 million as part of the state budget. Picture: KIRK GILMOUR

MORE COVERAGE

Illawarra the loser as Newcastle wins huge chunk of port cash

How the Illawarra will be affected

State earmarks $57m for Wollongong Hospital

Boost for Illawarra sport and recreation

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

TAC Cup: Calder Cannons down to eighth

comments Comments Off on TAC Cup: Calder Cannons down to eighth
By , 09/07/2018 17:40

CALDER Cannons slipped to eighth after a 47-point loss to Bendigo Pioneers at Queen Elizabeth Oval on Saturday.
Nanjing Night Net

Calder’s avenues to goal dried up after leading by two points at quarter-time, in the 13.11 (89) to 7.10 (52) loss.

Charles Van Der Byl kicked two goals, while Nathan Blair, Anthony Prestia and Jake Owen were among the best.

Calder plays Gippsland Power (third, 6-3) at Highgate Reserve from 2pm this Saturday.

African education funding cuts out of order

comments Comments Off on African education funding cuts out of order
By , 09/07/2018 17:40

An Orderof Australia Medal recipient who was recognised for helping people in Melbourne’s African community find jobs, could himself be out of a job next month as funding for the program dries up.
Nanjing Night Net

Carlton Neighbourhood Learning Centre’s Horn Afrik multicultural officer Omar Farah made the 2013 Queens Birthday Honours List last week.

For the past eight years, Mr Farah has run programs addressing education, training and employment needs for people from the Horn of Africa.

In the last six months of 2012 the service helped 179 people, including referring 36 clients to employment opportunities.

But the program, which is funded by the Commonwealth government, could cease to exist from next month.

Centre manager Mary Parfrey said she had applied for funding beyond June 30 through the Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs but she was concerned because she had heard nothing.

A spokeswoman for the government said a decision about successful applicants would be made soon. But without a guarantee of funding before the end of the financial year, Ms Parfrey said she would be forced to terminate Mr Farah’s employment.

“It would be a terrible irony because Omar could become a victim of the circumstances he’s been trying to prevent,” she said.

Mr Farah, who migrated to Australia in 1988 and hold a Masters in international development, said he was more concerned about African clients.

“I can survive. I am a translator and I can always go back to the taxi industry,” he said.

Omar Farah. Photo by Scott McNaughton

UPDATE: The day after Melbourne Times went to press the government confirmed it had committed funding to continue this project.

Weekly a winner

comments Comments Off on Weekly a winner
By , 09/07/2018 17:40

MACEDON Ranges Weekly has taken out the award for ‘best sport picture’ at the Community Newspapers of Australia Awards for Excellence (Southern Division).
Nanjing Night Net

Shawn Smits’ photograph shows Macedon Cats footballer Jack Kernan landing face down during a game.

The paper was also runner-up for ‘best feature photograph’, for Paul Rovere’s photo of two racegoers at the Kyneton Cup.

Shawn Smits’ winning picture.

Finalists have been selected

comments Comments Off on Finalists have been selected
By , 09/07/2018 17:40

THE response for this year’s Liverpool City Local Business Awards has been excellent, according to organiser Precedent Productions.
Nanjing Night Net

Finalists have been chosen and will be notified over the next two weeks in the lead up to the judging process.

Judging of categories will be anonymous and carried out by mystery shoppers. Additional information can be submitted about the business.

The judging criteria are based on fundamental business principles such as customer service, value for money and business presentation.

All finalists will be listed in a special feature of the Champion in coming weeks and will be available for viewing at thebusinessawards南京夜网.au.

The Liverpool City Local Business Awards is sponsored by Liverpool City Council, Liverpool Plaza, Casula Mall, South West Sydney Business Enterprise Centres, Crossroads Homemaker Centre, City of Liverpool Chamber of Commerce & Industry Ltd and Carnes Hill Marketplace.

Details: Call Precedent Productions on 8577 5060, or visit www.thebusinessawards南京夜网.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Outrage over animal cruelty penalties

comments Comments Off on Outrage over animal cruelty penalties
By , 09/07/2018 17:40

Community outrage at the court results of animal cruelty cases has prompted a social media campaign for harsher penalties.
Nanjing Night Net

RSPCA Tasmania launched the campaign on its Facebook page last night after posting the results of two recent animal cruelty cases heard in Launceston.

In one case, two women from Perth were put on a 12 month good behaviour order but escaped conviction for failing to seek appropriate veterinary treatment for four kittens.

RSPCA Tasmania president Dr Paul Swiatkowski said most sentences imposed for animal cruelty were manifestly inadequate.

“ It’s hard to keep prosecuting and fighting for justice when the sentences don’t reflect the pain and suffering caused to the animal,” Dr Swiatkowski said.

“The RSPCA and the Tasmanian public expect better from our justice system.

“When it comes to animal cruelty matters, the courts are clearly failing and in many instances sending the message that animals don’t matter.”

RSPCA business manager Allison Ball, who manages the Facebook page, said community outrage was clear every time she posted results of a court case online.

“Every time I post on the court results we get about 300 to 400 comments saying `what a dreadful result’,” Ms Ball said.

The social media campaign, titled Through the Eyes of the Law, urges people to email Attorney-General Brian Wightman to call for harsher penalties under the Animal Welfare Act.

As of this morning, the campaign post had been shared 289 times.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

RDFL: Riddell Bombers yet to hit heights

comments Comments Off on RDFL: Riddell Bombers yet to hit heights
By , 09/07/2018 17:40

RIDDELL Bombers coach Troy Scoble has warned the rest of the Riddell District Football League that his side is still not at its best, despite sitting unbeaten atop the ladder.
Nanjing Night Net

The Bombers won their eighth straight game of the season on Saturday, beating Melton Centrals by 35 points at McPherson Park.

They set up the 10.14 (74) to 6.3 (39) win with a commanding opening term, booting five goals and holding Centrals scoreless.

CLICK HERE for our picture gallery of the big game.

With a slight breeze blowing and conditions wet and heavy, it was the ideal start for Riddell, while the Centrals were ineffective with the ball.

But the Centrals turned the contest on its head in the second term, kicking five straight goals to close the gap to 12 points.

Riddell had plenty of chances to take a significant lead into the final break but kicked 1.6.

The Centrals goaled to stay within three goals at three-quarter time, sensing they could win their first game since April 27.

But after a number of stoppages early in the quarter Riddell finally broke the stranglehold with a goal, extending the margin back over 20 points midway through the term.

Riddell kicked another two and were able to hold the Centrals goalless to come away with a comfortable win.

Scoble said his side, which plays Broadford and Wallan before a three-week stretch against Sunbury, Romsey and Diggers Rest, still had work to do.

“Our ladder position suggests we are doing really well. But, in our opinion, we’re still not playing our best footy,” he said.

“Today I thought we played well for three-and-a-half quarters and I was rapt with the way we responded in the second half.

“They’re a very emotional sort of side, but we thought some of the goals they were getting in the second quarter were directly attributable to some of our poor mistakes.

“We knew we had to correct those; we had to respond and we did.”

Centrals coach Brian Wheelahan said mental lapses were costing his side dearly.

“Our best is good enough to compete but it’s a matter of putting in for the duration of quarters and games,” Wheelahan said.

“We know Riddell are a quality outfit – it wouldn’t surprise me if they won it – so for us to bounce back after the first quarter and still be in it at three-quarter time was good.

“If we’re on, and we don’t have any mental lapses, we can compete with the best sides.”

Tall timber: Riddell’s Jarrod Silvester holds a contested grab above teammate Brian Ruffell and Melton Centrals’ Wade Livingston. Picture: Shawn Smits

RDFL: Eight is enough for Tuckey as Woodend-Hesket thrashed

comments Comments Off on RDFL: Eight is enough for Tuckey as Woodend-Hesket thrashed
By , 09/07/2018 17:40

BRENT Tuckey had yet another day out as Diggers Rest hammered a 66-point win over the winless Woodend-Hesket on Saturday.
Nanjing Night Net

Tuckey booted eight goals, taking his season tally to 40 from just six games. He has come into scary form in the past three weeks, with 26 goals in that time.

CLICK HERE for our picture gallery of the Riddell vMelton Centrals match.

But while he was the focal point up forward, it wasn’t all about Tuckey at Diggers Rest Recreation Reserve. Steven Fogarty was best on ground for the second week running as the Burras set up the win with a seven-goal-to-two first half.

The Hawks, whose closest loss this season was by 31 points to Macedon in the season opener, trailed by 16 at quarter-time after a goalless opening term.

By half-time the Burras, sitting second behind Riddell on the ladder, were out to an unassailable 34-point lead, and kicked six goals to two in the third quarter to continue the pain, before easing off in the last.

Both of Woodend’s interleague representatives, Alex Shipard and Jesse Sheppard, were among the best for the Hawks.

A six-goal-to-none third quarter by Romsey was the difference between the Redbacks and Lancefield at Lancefield Park. The Tigers, one of four teams battling it out for sixth place, matched it with Romsey in the first half but kicked only a solitary behind in the third quarter to fall 36 points behind at the last break.

Lancefield owned the final term with six goals to two but the damage had been done, Romsey running out 25-point winners to keep in touch with the top three.

At Eric Boardman Reserve Sunbury’s winning season rolled on, the Kangaroos dismissing Macedon by 64 points. Ryan Hatty kicked five goals for Sunbury, which was all the Cats could manage as a team.

A seven-goal haul for Barry Hall ensured Broadford got its third win of the season, beating Wallan by eight points in a thriller at Harley Hammond Reserve.

Five goals to one in the second term proved the difference between the sides, the Magpies mounting a comeback late but not able to get in front of the Kangaroos.

Ben Brennan booted six goals for Rupertswood in its 58-point win over Kilmore.

ROUND 10, Saturday 2pm: Woodend Hesket v Kilmore, Wallan v Sunbury Kangaroos, Melton Centrals v Rupertswood, Romsey v Rockbank, Macedon v Lancefield, Diggers Rest bye

BUDGET: State earmarks $57m for Wollongong Hospital

comments Comments Off on BUDGET: State earmarks $57m for Wollongong Hospital
By , 09/07/2018 17:40

The bulk of the $86 million cost of Wollongong Hospital’s new elective surgery unit will be funded in this year’s state budget.
Nanjing Night Net

More than $45.8 million has been allocated to the project in this financial year, while an additional $11.5 million has been earmarked for continued work on the hospital’s car park expansion.

Further south, $32.8 million was today put towards construction of the new $170.1 million South East Regional Hospital at Bega.

The money is part of $1.2 billion in capital funding announced to upgrade and redevelop hospitals and health facilities across the state.

It will include $7.3 million to support the operating costs of new linear accelerators in cancer centres at Wollongong, Nowra, Gosford, Orange and Tamworth.

NSW Health Minister Jillian Skinner said it was part of the government’s mission to rebuild the hospital system and constituted an increase of 10 per cent on last year’s capital works spend.

‘‘The capital funding provisions for health in the NSW budget is about more than bricks and mortar – it is about building the hospitals and health care facilities our patients and staff expect and deserve,’’’ Ms Skinner said.

Overall, an additional $884 million will be invested in the NSW health system in 2013-14, an increase of 5.2 per cent on the previous year.

The recurrent budget for NSW Health is $17.9 billion, plus the $1.2 billion on capital works.

Mental health was also a key focus of the 2013-14 state budget, with $1.45 billion to be spent on mental health services and initiatives across the state.

Shoalhaven Hospital will share in $26 million for the expansion of health services.

Wollongong Hospital will receive $45.8 million for its new elective surgery unit.

MORE COVERAGE

Illawarra the loser as Newcastle wins huge chunk of port cash

How the Illawarra will be affected

$138m boost for Illawarra sport and recreation

Emergency headquarters to be based in the Illawarra

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Panorama Theme by Themocracy